There are presently no open calls for submissions.
We look forward to reading your work!
- We accept submissions from September 1 through January 1. Issues are published on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- We accept fiction and non-fiction submissions up to 5,000 words and poetry submissions up to 100 lines.
- For each submission cycle, we will read up to 5 poems, 1 short story, and 1 piece of creative nonfiction per person.
- While we welcome submissions of visual poetry and photographic essays from people around the world, we publish paintings and drawing only by those from or living in southwestern Virginia. If you fit that criteria and are interested in having us consider your work for a featured gallery, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with attached images or a link to an online portfolio. Please, no graphic representations of a violent or sexual nature.
- For all submissions, include your contact information on the top of the first page and a header with your name on all subsequent pages. For prose pieces, please number your pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere. If we accept you first and you accept our acceptance, please honor that.
- We do not accept previously published material.
- For those who do not use Submittable, a hardcopy with a SASE (if you want a response) can be mailed to Roanoke Review, Miller Hall, 221 College Lane, Salem, VA 24153. We go by postmark dates, not dates of arrival. We do not accept email submissions of poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction.
- We accept only 200 submissions per month via Submittable. If that limit is hit, submissions will reopen on the first day of the next month.
- There are no charges or reading fees.
- We are not able to offer payment to authors, but we frequently nominate work for national prizes.
- We reserve the right to pull work from the journal at any point and for any reason. We've never had a reason to do so, but we're reserving the right, all the same.