There are presently no open calls for submissions.
PLEASE NOTE: IF SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED DURING OUR REGULAR READING PERIOD, THAT MEANS WE HAVE HIT OUR SUBMISSION LIMIT FOR THE MONTH. PLEASE CHECK BACK AT THE FIRST OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH, WHEN SUBMISSIONS WILL REOPEN.
We look forward to reading your work!
- We accept submissions from September 1 through December 1. Issues are published on a monthly basis throughout the year.
- We accept fiction and non-fiction submissions up to 5,000 words and poetry submissions up to 100 lines.
- For each submission cycle, we will read up to 5 poems, 1 short story, and 1 piece of creative nonfiction per person. Please do not submit more than once in the same category in a single year.
- For all submissions, include your contact information on the top of the first page and a header with your name on all subsequent pages. For prose pieces, please number your pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere. If we accept you first and you accept our acceptance, please honor that.
- We do not accept previously published material.
- For those who do not use Submittable, a hardcopy with a SASE (if you want a response) can be mailed to Roanoke Review, Miller Hall, 221 College Lane, Salem, VA 24153. We go by postmark dates, not dates of arrival. We do not accept email submissions of poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction.
- We accept only 200 submissions per month via Submittable. If that limit is hit, submissions will reopen on the first day of the next month.
- There are no charges or reading fees.
- We are not able to offer payment to authors, but we frequently nominate work for national prizes.
- We reserve the right to pull work from the journal at any point and for any reason. We've never had a reason to do so, but we're reserving the right, all the same.
- We do not accept submissions from current Roanoke College students, except through our Ruth Moose Creative Writing Student Award. Graduates, however, are welcome to send work.
- If you are interested in having a new book of poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction reviewed, please send a copy through the mail to Reviews, Roanoke Review, Miller Hall, Roanoke College, Salem VA 24153.
- Correspondence following acceptance will be done via email (email@example.com). We do not always see Submittable notes, so please use our email for questions or to follow up.
Roanoke Review is part of the creative writing community at Roanoke College in Virginia.