There are presently no open calls for submissions.
** NOTE: We have reached our monthly submission limit, and therefore we have suspended submissions until January 1, at which point we will extend our deadline until January 5, 2018. You can also email submissions to email@example.com. Please place "SUBMISSION" in the subject line and indicate if you are submitting poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction.
Submissions are open for the 2018 edition of the Roanoke Review. Submissions will remain open until 5 January 2018.
Please view our submission guidelines, as posted on our online journal at roanokereview.org:
- Issues are published on a rolling basis throughout the calendar year, generally starting on 1 January.
- We accept fiction and non-fiction submissions up to 5,000 words and poetry submissions up to 100 lines.
- We will read up to 5 poems and 1 short story per submission; please wait to hear from us before submitting additional work.
- Please include your contact information on the top of the first page and a header with your name on all subsequent pages. For prose pieces, please number your pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere. (And if we accept you first and you accept our acceptance, please honor that).
- We do not accept reprints.
- Please do not send us podcasts or interviews. If we accept your work, we may pursue these things ourselves.
- We publish artwork only by artists from or living in southwestern Virginia. If you’re interested in having us look at your work, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a link to your gallery or another on-line display of your work. Please, no fantasy art or graphic representations of a sexual nature.
- All other works should be submitted via Submittable (see link below) or sent hardcopy with an SASE to Roanoke Review, 221 College Lane, Salem, VA 24153.
- Because we see ourselves as a resource for and in service to the arts community, there are no charges or reading fees.