PLEASE NOTE: IF SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED DURING OUR REGULAR READING PERIOD, THAT MEANS WE HAVE HIT OUR SUBMISSION LIMIT FOR THE MONTH. PLEASE CHECK BACK AT THE FIRST OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH, WHEN SUBMISSIONS WILL REOPEN.
We look forward to reading your work!
- We accept submissions from September 1 through December 1. Issues are published on a monthly basis throughout the year.
- We accept fiction and non-fiction submissions up to 5,000 words, and flash fiction up to 1000 words. There is no line limit on poetry.
- Please do not submit more than once in the same category in a single year.
- For all submissions, include your contact information on the top of the first page and a header with your name on all subsequent pages. For prose pieces, please number your pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere. If we accept you first and you accept our acceptance, please honor that.
- We do not accept previously published material.
- We do not accept email or mail submissions.
- We accept only 200 submissions per month via Submittable. If that limit is hit, submissions will reopen on the first day of the next month.
- There are no charges or reading fees.
- We are not able to offer payment to authors, but we frequently nominate work for national prizes.
- We reserve the right to pull work from the journal at any point and for any reason. We've never had a cause to do so, but we're reserving the right, all the same.
- We do not accept submissions from current Roanoke College students, except through our Ruth Moose Creative Writing Student Award. Graduates, however, are welcome to send work.
- If you are interested in having a new book of poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction reviewed, please send a copy through the mail to Reviews, Roanoke Review, Miller Hall, Roanoke College, Salem VA 24153.
- Correspondence following acceptance will be done via email (email@example.com). We do not always see Submittable notes, so please use our email for questions or to follow up.
Roanoke Review is part of the creative writing community at Roanoke College in Virginia.
Send up to 3 pieces of flash fiction or flash nonfiction (fewer than 1000 words) in a single document. Please indicate in your cover letter whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
Please submit only one story (up to 5000 words) during our reading period. Do not submit work previously published elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw work when appropriate to do so.
Works may be up to 5,000 words in length and may cover any topic. Please submit only one creative non-fiction piece during our reading period. Do not submit work previously published elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw work when appropriate to do so.
You may send up to five poems per submission. Please submit only once during our reading period. We generally select poems below 100 lines in length. Do not submit work previously published elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw work when appropriate to do so.
Submit up to 3 separate jpgs or up to 5 pieces in a single pdf. Do not submit previously published work. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw work if it is accepted elsewhere. We do not feature artwork that has no relation to language.
We are happy to consider photo essays that contain up to 15 images. Please submit a PDF containing both the images and the text. Do not submit previously published work. Simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please withdraw work if it is accepted elsewhere.