There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Submissions are currently closed for the Roanoke Review. Our submission window will reopen on 1 September 2017.
Please view our submission guidelines, as posted on our online journal at roanokereview.org:
- Issues are published on a rolling basis throughout the calendar year, generally starting on 1 January.
- We accept fiction and non-fiction submissions up to 5,000 words and poetry submissions up to 100 lines.
- We will read up to 5 poems and 1 short story per submission; please wait to hear from us before submitting additional work.
- Please include your contact information on the top of the first page and a header with your name on all subsequent pages. For prose pieces, please number your pages.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere. (And if we accept you first and you accept our acceptance, please honor that).
- We do not accept reprints.
- Please do not send us podcasts or interviews. If we accept your work, we may pursue these things ourselves.
- We publish artwork only by artists from or living in southwestern Virginia. If you’re interested in having us look at your work, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a link to your gallery or another on-line display of your work. Please, no fantasy art or graphic representations of a sexual nature.
- All other works should be submitted via Submittable (see link below) or sent hardcopy with an SASE to Roanoke Review, 221 College Lane, Salem, VA 24153.
- Because we see ourselves as a resource for and in service to the arts community, there are no charges or reading fees.